Thursday, March 7, 2013

Badge of a Long Winter

I don’t know about you, but when I am leaving on a trip I have trouble sleeping. Last night was no exception.  I must have slept some though and when Quark woke me with his usual lick on my face at 4:30 a.m. I did not want to get  up, but I did. 

I tried not to wake Tom while going about my morning routine feeding the boys breakfast, checking email, Facebook and the news online and having breakfast myself.   I held off on the morning cup of coffee as I wanted to take a to-go cup with in the truck. So when I finished breakfast I showered and then began putting the items we had waiting to go, in the trailer. 

We left home a half hour ahead of our planned departure time and were on the road by 6:30 a.m.  The Interstate was clear and dry after our big snow Tuesday, so we were very happy about that.  Traffic was pretty light, even through Rockford during the morning rush.  So far we are pleased with the way the new trailer has been handling.  We do find a little turbulence when certain semis pull in front of us but not much when they pass.

We have been carrying a badge of our long, snowy Wisconsin winter with us—nearly a foot of snow on the trailer roof and it is surprisingly still with us here south of Indianapolis and it’s relatively intact. Temps finally reached about 39 shortly before we stopped but it was cloudy and that kept the snow from melting.  We are wondering if the roof snow will make it to Nashville with us. 

P1030980

Our “badge,” morning of day 2,  Edinburgh, IN. Wish I had taken a good “before photo.”

We stopped at a Shell truck stop in LeRoy, IL about 10 a.m. for gas and encountered what to us seemed a wait and see attitude about snow removal.  Wait and see if it melts.  It didn’t.  What a mess.  Slush, as well as ice made taking the boys to do their duty a challenge.

We called friends, Bob and Sue, at about 2:30 p.m. EST (it’s EST in most of Indiana) to let them know we were almost to our campground.  They came by after we got set up and we went for early supper to Burger King.  Sue is taking classes at the local college and had class at 5 p.m.  They took us back to their place for a visit.  They have a beautiful home in Columbus. 

We returned to the trailer at about 6 p.m. As our TV antenna was covered by a foot of Wisconsin winter.  We just went to bed.  The downside is that while Tom does not have a difficult time sleeping, I do and here I am at 11:30 p.m. writing this blog entry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment