Saturday, August 29, 2009

MP3 Books

About a year ago I purchased a Sony Walkman MP3 player, on sale of course. Being cheap I didn't want to buy music to put on it. I found it cumbersome to transfer cds I own, or audio books from the library to the computer then onto the MP3 player.

I thought about Podcasts but couldn't really get into them.

I happened to come upon Librivox.org--free audio books from the public domain. I can't tell you how many books I have listened to in the past year. Sinclair Lewis, Louisa May Alcott, Lucy Maude Montgomery, Mark Twain, F. Scott Fitzgerald and first-hand accounts of historical events. Surprises abound.

Many restless nights I have been lulled to sleep listening. It does take a little bit longer to finish . . . zzzzz . . . . as there is much backtracking to catch missed chapters.

Volunteers record chapters or entire books and most are quite good.

I have downloaded a stockpile of books for our trip if I have time to listen.

This is a terrific resource I highly recommend.



No comments:

Post a Comment